Let’s continue with our series of articles on render engines for 3ds Max. With previous articles, we know more about suitable cloud rendering packages at iRender for Arnold and V-ray renderer , and today’s post is about Corona – one of the most popular render engines for 3ds max.
Corona Renderer is a modern high-performance (un)biased photorealistic renderer, available for Autodesk 3ds Max, MAXON Cinema 4D, and as a standalone application.
The development of Corona Renderer started back in 2009 as a solo student project of Ondřej Karlík at Czech Technical University in Prague. Corona has since evolved to a full-time commercial project, after Ondřej established a company together with the former CG artist Adam Hotový, and Jaroslav Křivánek, associate professor and researcher at Charles University in Prague. In August 2017, the company became part of Chaos Group, allowing for further expansion and growth.
Despite its young age, Corona Renderer has become a production-ready renderer capable of creating high–quality results. A much more comfortable and friendly interface for settings , with few parameters to move, which allows you to focus on realism, lighting and materials.
Other advantages that Corona Render offers for new users is the ease of updating, as well as for those who want to enter the work of professional Renders to find support through their forums, where the community meets to solve many of the doubts that arise.
Settings such as the movement of the sun, flashes of light, haze have become much easier when compared to the Vray . It also offers us more complex materials, a portable rendering system, and options such as the lightmix setup, in which you can create a daytime rendering and convert it to a nighttime rendering in real time, saving valuable time.
- Hardware requirements:
For Corona Renderer 2 and newer, you will need a CPU that supports the SSE4.1 instruction set (SSE4.1 has been available since Intel i3/i5/i7 and AMD Bulldozer architectures – so, any processor from within the last 10 years).
To use our optional Fast Preview Denoiser (NVIDIA OptiX), you need an NVIDIA GPU with Maxwell or newer architecture and the newest GPU driver. Not all mobile GPUs are supported.
Note: this denoiser type is optional, and Corona Renderer will work fine even if it’s not installed (for example if you are using an AMD or integrated GPU). We also offer a High Quality denoiser, which utilizes purely the CPU, and this denoiser can be used on any computer which can run Corona Renderer.
- Software requirements:
3ds Max version: Corona Renderer currently supports x64 versions of 3ds Max 2014-2021. There are no plans of supporting older versions of 3ds Max.
Standalone: Microsoft Windows (7, 8, 8.1, 10).
Corona Distributed rendering: (available in 3ds Max only) requires Backburner on render nodes.
GPU Denoiser: to ensure smooth operation and best performance of our Fast Preview Denoiser (NVIDIA OptiX), please make sure you are using the newest driver available for your graphics card.
Corona is x64-compatible only.
- Operating Systems:
Microsoft Windows, versions 7, 8, 8.1, 10
macOS, versions 10.7 and newer.
Corona is x64-compatible only.
A version for Linux is planned.
Corona Renderer is proudly CPU based. It uses Intel Embree Ray Tracing Kernels, the fastest CPU ray tracing solution on the market. Since they mesh well with the Corona architecture, they are an important factor in its performance.
By rendering only on the CPU, we can avoid all bottlenecks, problems, and limitations of GPU rendering, which include the unsuitability of GPU architectures for full GI, limited memory, limited support for third party plugins and maps, unpredictability, the need for specialist knowledge or hardware to add nodes, high cost, high heat and noise.
With CPU rendering, iRender provides CPU servers with unmatched speed for rendering Corona with Dual Xeon E5-2670 v2 @ 2.50 GHZ, 20 cores, 40 threads, RAM 128 GB, Storage 256 GB and a Geforce GPU Nvidia 1050 2GB, which is totally higher than recommended system requirements. This configuration totally can help you improve your rendering performance with a very reasonable price.
You can see the CPU server performance with Corona for 3dsmax in the in the video above.
With the mentioned system configuration requirements for the Corona renderer, we can say it is an attractive option is to use the service at iRender to get great advantages:
- As you all know, iRender provides high performance and configurable server system to customers who need to utilize the power of CPU & GPU such as 3D rendering, AI training, VR&AR, simulation, etc. With iRender IaaS and PaaS services, you can access our server through the Remote Desktop Application and do whatever you want and install any software you need on it. It is like you are using your own computer but with a powerful configuration and much higher performance. In particular, you only need to install the software for the first time, the next time you connect to the computer everything is ready for you to use.
- You can use iRender’s machines to render, and use yours for other purposes (such as designing or editing other files). This could save you time a lot, especially when you have a large project and a deadline is coming.
- iRender provides you powerful configuration packages with high performance that can speed up your rendering and improve your job quality. And it also depends on the scale of your project to decide which is the most suitable one.
- Another great feature that iRender brings to customers is day/ week/month rental packages with high discounts (up to 30% for daily packages, 50% on weekly packages, and 60% on monthly packages) which is extremely beneficial for regular long-term users or large projects.
- Real human 24/7 support service, helping you to handle the problem quickly, effectively, saving you both time and money.
With the benefits iRender gives you as well as the configuration that is very suitable for every Arnold version, do not hesitate to use the service at iRender to have a great experience with your rendering time. Register for an account HERE today to experience our service. Or contact us via WhatsApp: (+84) 912 515 500/ email [email protected] for advice and support.
iRender – Happy Rendering!